Breastfeeding and Lactation
Considering Breastfeeding: Mothers Needs, Hopes and Fears
Do you find yourself asking any of these questions?
- Can I breastfeed in comfort?
- Can breastfeeding be pain free?
- How do I avoid embarrassment?
- How do I breastfeed in public?
- How do I mange parental and peer group pressure?
- What happens if I can not breastfeed?
- How do I gauge how much milk the baby is getting? How do I know that the baby has had enough?
- How long should I breastfeed for?
- When should I express? Can I heat/freeze expressed breast milk?
- Bottle feeding?
- When do I know I have emptied a breast?
- Should I use a sterilizer?
- What will my breasts look like after the period of breastfeeding?
- Can I consume alcohol/caffeine?
- What is mastitis and how can I prevent it?
- Appropriate underwear?
- How useful are nipple shields?
- If it does not work, how will I feel?
- How do I deal with tiredness?
- Will my partner miss out on bonding?
- To express; is it OK ? When? How ? Why?
- Weaning; when to start?
- When is the right time to stop?
What help can partners, family members & friends offer me?
- Encouragement; and understanding of any problems or setbacks.
- Offer to give me some time to myself.
- Support my decisions
- Help with practical tasks, e.g. washing up,cooking,cleaning,nappy changing & shopping
- To understand the process of breastfeeding.
Why not contact Kate for answers to any of these questions and any others you may have with a personalised consultation.